Hurray! Ellis Island resources are accessible on site!

Many, many thanks to Jan Meisels Allen, Chairperson, IAJGS Public Records Access Monitoring Committee, for so articulately summarizing what is happening at Ellis Island.  She wrote:

“…the new Ellis Island National Immigration Museum story goes to the present day whereas the Ellis Island Immigration Museum story covered only through 1954. The new gallery, Peopling of America, opens today, May 20th. This major expansion of the museum “bookends” the Ellis Island era by telling the story of immigration to America before the processing station opened in 1892 and after it closed in 1954. To read more see: Original url: The historic baggage room now houses the world migration globe depicting migration patterns around the world, not just to the United States. There are displays about pre-Ellis Island as well as post-Ellis immigration. Displayed at the entrance is the American Flag of Faces, an interactive video with a montage of images submitted by individuals about their families and ancestors. If you would like to submit photos see: The site also has a link about genealogy-see:

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.